Monday, October 26, 2009

Jamie's American Road trip

And so I just finished watching the first episode of Jamie's American Road trip. Totally enjoyed it, always enjoy watching Jamie Oliver (i enjoy listening to the British accent so I could be bias..haha), he's touring America trying out the underground/local cuisines prepared by migrants. There was a chap which he met, a Colombian who works as a school bus driver by day and at nights, cooks for about 70plus homeless illegal migrants and distributes the food to them.

I was reminded of

Luke 4:18-19 The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, because He has annointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.

I get excited when I hear/see of churches who are integrated in their local communities doing acts of justice, defending those who are weak, feeding those who are hungry, being a channel for His power. I get even more excited when together with these, there is an active proclaimation of the gospel and lives being saved. And I know it is hard to strike a balance.

I'm reminded from a thought shared by K.P Yohannan in his book, 'Revolution in World Missions' where he makes the point that yes, it is important for a church to meet the social need but it is more important to meet the spiritual need as often, the physical needs are an expression of their spiritual state.

God, wake us up from our spiritual slumber that we may see how much we need You in our lives.

3 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

Wow....

...Just read this post as well....

Really truly right on my friend...

...My prayers echo yours for the body of Christ....

I posted an entry on my blog last week that resonates a bit with what you wrote here....feel free to check it out if you'd like

http://hindsfeet-birdseyeview.blogspot.com/2010/02/let-there-be-light.html

Thanks again for this perspective, I hope you wont mind if I tag along...

Peace, friend

newport cigarettes said...

Michelle Williams, wearing orange dress of the LV (Louis Vuitton) unveiled the 2012 84th Academy Awards red carpet.Local time on February 26, Michelle Williams Michelle Williams, wearing the LV (Louis Vuitton) orange dress to attend the 2012 84th Academy Awards. Michelle Williams, dressed in the LV (Louis Vuitton bag) 2012 early autumn series set to debut the 2012 American Film Independent Spirit Award (Film Independent Spirit Awards) Awards Ceremony.

Jim said...

The last service pack for Office 2007 was released in September 2005 and also was aimed at beefing up security, enhancing application stability and adding support for Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 .