Thursday, September 11, 2008

My 2 years anniversary

To my dearest Anterior Cruciate Ligament,

You used to reside in between my femur and tibia of my right knee but God chose to remove you for reasons still not fully known. Today marks the 2 years anniversary of living life without you. As my fellow human beings remember the loss when the Twin Towers came down in USA, I remember you.

Life really hasn't been the same since you 'left'. Watching football on tv has never been the same. Thoughts like, 'oh man, i can't wait to try that move on the field' have now turned to, 'oh my, he better be careful less he loses his ACL too'. Running up stairs and zig zag used to be pain free but now, it's a different story all together.

I thought i could move on without you. I remember the day when i tried to play a game of football with some of the guys. Boy, what an experience. I never want to go through that again. Everytime i swing my leg, i felt like the lower part of the leg was going to 'fly off'. I missed your grip and your strength. You held my legs together and really gave me stability. Since you were gone, life really hasn't been the same.

I must say, i kept wishing things were different. That you did not have to leave. But i gave this body of mine to Him a long time ago already and told Him to do as He pleases. And so, i have to move in obedience.

The past 2 years wasn't easy. I remember the times when i argued with my parents because i was so adamant to go get a replacement for you ASAP. To the point that they said i could do as i please. It was a struggle inside. I knew i wanted a replacement fast but at the same time, i just could not bring myself to dishonour them. And so, i moved in obedience again to wait and see how life would be without you. I remember the countless times i see people running and playing football freely and wished that i could be part of them too. I remember the times when i tried jogging and had to slow down due to the pain and well, let some old uncle overtake me and say, 'aiyo, you young man, why so slow?' Obviously, my ego took control of me. Not to forget the many times i fell into sadness and lamenting my predicament.

Over time, i realised that a replacement was needed and its currently in the position you vacated. Boy, was it an experience. To undergo surgery at 21. Who would have thought?
To my tendon whos now acting as a pseudo-ACL, i appreciate what you are doing for me in my right knee. You were not created for this function but medical advancements allows you to help the other ligaments in that area by taking up ACL's spot. I pray and hope that you will last this 'journey of life' till i die. I will do what i can to support you with physiotherapy.

By God's grace, i have not sustained any major injuries over the past 2 years. I look back also still wondering why you, my ACL, left. Apart from the countless dollars i have saved from futsal, i can't think of anything that has impacted me. Although, compared to the dollars spent in getting the replacement, i rather play futsal. I may be wiser now and maybe when i return to the field, i could be a better player. I have to choose my tackles wisely, move wisely and play wisely too. I will probably appreciate every single second on the field now also.

I look at other people. Those who are in a more serious condition than i am like cancer etc and i thank God that i still have life. I will learn not to focus so much on what i don't have but on what i have. It always has been a struggle as i can be more of a pessimists at times.

Maybe this is the lesson to be learnt. To seize what i have and make full use of it.

To my ACL, i miss you but life goes on. I look forward to the day when i can play football again. 10 more months.

My childhood dream of playing for Manchester United still holds.

:)

No comments: