Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Reflections

As I was driving home from physio yesterday (yes, i can drive already for those who have been asking - have been driving myself to physio and dropping Mum off at work, so kind of her to let me use her car), i realised that this 'handicap' of mine will always be there. I was ecstatic and how i could walk again after being so 'disabled' after the surgery. So much so that i 'forgot' that my right knee is still missing something (they removed a tendon to be my new pseudo-ACL, so eventhough i've got a new pseudo-ACL, i'm missing a tendon near my patella region).

I thought I was normal and able again.

All that disappeared when the physiotherapist reminded me of do's and don'ts when in Adelaide during this year long of recuperation and i was brought back down to earth. He mentioned that before the op, i probably had 75% use of my knee and after the op, i may be able to achieve 90-95% with good and adequate physio for the next 6 months.

Why not 100%?

I guess some things are not meant to be.

So, my friend, if you see me hobbling, please gently remind me to make a conscious effort to walk properly as i'm still paranoid about my right knee and don't put enough pressure on it. Note: gently remind me, not slap on my back as what i used to ask you to do if you see me hunching. Now, if you slap me on the back, i might fall and tear another ligament and the cycle worsens. haha. Do check on me also to make sure that i'm diligent in my physiotherapy sessions. (I bought a pair of goggles to 'revive' my swimming 'career' - doctors have been saying that it's one the safest and effective form of physio. Anyone care for a swim?haha). I still can't fully bend my knee and definitely can't duduk bersila and still require one crutch for long distances.

Interesting times indeed for Malaysia, talks of a new government have never been so widespread and talked about. Let's keep on praying for His will for this country. I heard a song by Planetshakers titled, 'Save Australia' once and i thought, 'What a nice prayer, the words were so apt, i wonder if Planetshakers would let me take the song and replace Australia with Malaysia'. Read an article about how it's easy to find a Chinese, Indian or Malay Hero. But it's hard to find a Malaysian hero. Some truths in that statement, a lot of us are filled with prejuidices and dissatisfaction towards one another. Most of us struggle to identify with one another at times too.

It's been a good 2 monthsish time of rejuvenation and self-discovery. Not to mention all the funky food i got to eat again. Instead of Chicken soup for the soul, i should write a book call 'Malaysian junk food for the soul'. Chpt 1, deep fried pork knuckles when gloomy coz the very sight of them would gross you out and you would chuckle at the thought of who is crazy enough to eat another animal's legs. 10minutes later, you're swallowing it down into your tummy. Chpt 2, eat nasi lemak with kari or banana leaf rice with beautiful curry till you lau sai to get the adrenaline rush to wash your sorrows away. Chpt 3, taufufa and gueylingko .....etc. u get the point. haha. Ooo, did i mention too that i also had the chance to check out the buka puasa stalls near my place. The scents were so refreshing. Beef rendang, ayam percik, ikan bakar...drools.

I return to Adelaide tonight with a sense of accomplishment. Mum kept telling me that this trip back home was to get my leg fixed and anything else was a bonus and i must say, i received a lot of bonuses. I told myself the main priorities for this trip back home was to just catch up with my family and friends and to get my leg fixed. I got more. I've learned things about myself again and have set new goals and priorities in my life (hopefully, they'll stay. haha).

I'm probably going to cry again tonight but oh well, haha, at least i've got a wheelchair and attendant to push me to the aeroplane.

hehehhehehhehehehhehehehehehehe.

I've got 3 papers to sit for next week, 8th, 9th and 12th. Would appreciate the support in praying. And there after, God-willing, the last semester.

Hopefully...

See you in Adelaide.

No comments: