Thursday, May 28, 2009

Curry in Proverbs?

Was just flipping through the book of Proverbs and at the corner of my eye, i thought i saw, 'curry flavour'. But on a second read, i realised i was just thinking too much about food. (we're cooking lamb curry tonight..hehe)

Proverbs 19.6 Many curry favor with a ruler, and everyone is the friend of a man who gives gifts.
NIV

The NKJV says, 'Many entreat the favor of the nobility, And every man is a friend to one who gives gifts.' 

Go figure..

Interestingly when typing this post, i actually thought the verse was in 16.9 and when i opened my Bible just to confirm again, 16.9 read 'In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.' (i've come to experienced myself that God actually still speaks through very real and practical ways and sometimes we're just so ignorant of it that we allow it to just zip past our minds) 

Truth be told, i am very much afraid of where I am in life right now. I'm still waiting for that 'illusive job' and it just dawned upon me that applying for PR is actually a BIG decision and it's not something that I should do just because. The past few weeks of my life has been more of like a mini holiday filled with house chores. Seeing that I'm the free-er hsemate at this point in time, i try my best to do more of the chores and help around where I can. Apart from that, my time have been filled with sending out resumes, calling up pharmacies, checking out Bible colleges and reading books. Just recently finished a book on a missionary who sorta did like a 'Jim Elliot' thing and went to South America.  Title of the book is 'Bruchko'

I finally took that leap of faith to start reading Contemporary Christianity by John Stott. It's not for the faint hearted. But yes, what he writes about has certainly been challenging and refrehing. After this, i hope to start on my new additions, Getting the best from the Bible by Selwyn Hughes and The Worship-Driven Life by Tozer. And before you think, i'm some holy-moly fella who just reads Christian books only, let me say something. I really want to challenge what I already know, just to make sure that what I know is true and reading is certainly something which i see can aid that. I one day want to invest in books which are on secular issues too but looking at where I am right now, not having a job and living on limited finances, i rather invest first on books which I know have value. Not to say that secular books have no value but i feel a bit safe-r in sacrificing my lunch money on Christian books because i know i can pass them around and it can certainly be a blessing to someone. So currently, my only source of secular issues are free reads at the book shops or websites. :) yes yes cheapo klg fella.

Some days I wake up not knowing what I'm doing and whether am I going in the right direction in life, the direction that He intended for me. The urge to go back is still very strong in me but i think a major pulling factor is the desire to go back to what is familiar and comfortable and I think that is not a good enough reason to go back. Sure I have a heart for my fellow bangsawan and church back home but i think right now, the desire to go back to what is comfortable and familiar is a big thing and I don't believe that is what He wants for me now.

Sometimes when i'm not doing anything, I allow my mind to wander and to have dreams and I believe that there may be something more than just going back to Negaraku...or could it be just my innate male desire to do 'big' things. hmm...time will tell. But i see this season in Adelaide being a preparation one. The past 2 years and so has certainly been filled with lessons and i've learnt lots. I would love to go to Bible college one day, to challenge my thoughts/opinions too and hence, all the readings now also. Right now, i'm enrolled in Wei Jin's college where I can dictate my pace of learning..haha. The background of church where i grew up dosen't really like fully encourage people to go to Bible college and that's why we were thought how to read/study the Bible for ourselves but I would love to go there one day just to see/hear what others think. But ya, we'll see where God leads.

Wow, just realised i wrote quite a bit..hehe. can be very cheong hei sometimes but i won't apologize for that coz this is where i sometimes come to just pour out my thoughts.

The song, 'Your grace is enough' rings in my ears and i pray and hope that during this time of uncertainty, when my worldly desires can so easily overtake my desire for Him, that those words will remain true with me.

Time to go exercise that almost-there knee of mine.

No comments: